This Dish also known as Kabob Digi in the Persian culture is what most moms make for the kids because it is fast, easy, and beyond delicious.
My mother, always the incredibly healthy cooker that she was, use to make this for us with Turkey Breast. Originally this dish is made with beef, but since we did not and do not eat beef she would do it with turkey, and to tell you the truth it is Much healthier and more delicious.
What you need:
- Grounded Turkey Breast
- 1/2 Onion (I always use Red because of the aroma and taste but if you like another variation then that is totally fine)
- Avocado Oil (about 1 tsp, just enough to Lightly marinate the meat, because we are using turkey breast it will be dry. However if you do not mind the dryness, then omit the Oil.
1) Shred the onion
2) Add it to the Turkey breast and mix it well into the turkey, then pat it so it is not so much a ball, but a little bit flat (not too flat either)
3) Add all the seasonings: Turmeric, Cumin, Salt, and Pepper, and a little bit of Avocado Oil.
- The way you add is you want to cover the whole big patty with the seasonings, but not too much where you cannot see the meat any more.
4) Now you mix in all the seasonings with the turkey breast until all of it is nicely seasoned
5) Heat your Iron Skillet (med heat), and add a little bit of the Avocado Oil to just oil the skillet and you can spread it with paper towel
6) Then you add the Turkey Breast and you spread it with you hand until the entire skillet is covered. Make sure to lower your heat to a high Low
7) After about 3-5 minutes when you see the bottom of the big patty is getting cooked cut through the patty with your spatula and then
8) Immediately after you have cut through the patty, Filip each piece on its other side, Lower the heat, Cover and let it simmer in its own water.
9) Cut the tomatoes and lightly season them with salt
10) About 7-10 minutes later add the tomatoes to the skillet, cover and let it simmer for about another 10-15 min, depending on how cooked you like your tomatoes.